Wednesday, October 29, 2008

No Thank You

I know I haven't been posting very frequently lately. I've been away and my laptop was being fixed. Update: It's fixed.

But while I've been gone I've had a lot of time to think. One of the greatest grammatical mistakes people make is when they say the phrase, "No thank you" or "No thanks."

Almost everyone forgets that there is a comma after the "No." What you mean to say when you turn down another piece of over-cooked, under-flavored chicken is "No, (but) thank you." Without the comma you are essentially saying, "No (I don't) thank you."

This becomes even more awful when you say, "No thanks, but thank you." Pleeasseee!

I have a feeling someone will object to this claim so let me just say, no thanks, I don't want to hear it.

2 comments:

  1. Were you trying to be polite and really mean to say "no, thanks" or were did you mean to say "I'm not offering a thank you.?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete