Sunday, October 3, 2010

Why it Makes More Sense to Wear Sweatshirts in the Summer

It’s that time of the year again: sweater season (or sweatshirt season, depending on your income). This can be kind of a big deal. But not for me. That’s because I know no season that’s not sweater season. In fact, I think it makes more sense to wear sweatshirts in the summer months than in the winter months.

If you’re like me, you’re awkward, good-looking, and popular. But even if you’re not like me, you may spend just as much time indoors as me. In fact, in a typical 24-hour day, I spend an average of 10 minutes outdoors (walking to and from my car). That comes out to .6% of a day. I spend more time tying my shoes then I do outdoors, and my shoes don’t even have laces.

I love the great indoors – the artificial feel of a climate-controlled room; the smell of fresh cookies baking from the outlet; the comfort of standing on a plush rug that lays atop an even plusher carpet.

The thing about the indoors is that it is usually the inverse temperature of the outdoors. So for the winter months, the heat is blasting inside and it’s as hot as my laptop gets when I use it on my bed – you would be crazy to wear a sweater. In the summer, the cold air is flowing from the air conditioner like wind on a cold winter day – the perfect time for a zip-up hoodie.

Secondly, wearing sweatshirts in the summer is really cool and a great way to get attention, especially if you’re looking for people to tell you that you look hot (oh my gosh I can’t even look at you). When it comes down to it, wearing a sweatshirt to the beach is as hip as wearing sunglasses at night or a blackberry around your ankle.

And that’s why it makes more sense to wear sweatshirts in the summer.

3 comments:

  1. Totally agree. Well done.

    -an awkward, popular, good-looking fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When it comes down to it, wearing a sweatshirt to the beach is as hip as wearing sunglasses at night..."

    Great line

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember school was the epitome of this.

    ReplyDelete